Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Aspartame

I went back and read some of my previous postings and realized that I never shared with you about the horrible sweetener ASPARTAME. It is in everything diet and I know that a lot of you are drinking diet drinks and you think that all is ok. But think about it- you have been drinking diet for over a couple of years and you have had probably more than 1 day, right???? Ok, well it is going to take it's toll. Just keep reading...

When aspartame was put before the FDA for approval in 1973, guess what? It was denied 8 TIMES!!! Why do you ask, well the FDA researchers that tested aspartame were convinced that it was dangerous. And until the safety of aspartame was proven, marketing of the product should not be permitted. In 1974 however somehow it was approved to be used in dry foods. After which more objections came from the FDA saying that the testings that the maker of Aspartame, G.D. Searle, had done were manipulated. Fast forward to 2007 and aspartame is all over and in everything!

Here are just some of the side effects of aspartame that the FDA has listed: memory loss, nerve cell damage, migraines, mental confusion, brain lesions, joint pain, bloating, nervous systems disorders, hair loss, food cravings and weight gain. Nutra sweet and Equal both contain aspartame. When ingested, one of the ingredients of aspartame Methyl Alcohol, converts into formaldehyde, a deadly neurotoxin. Sweet and Low is not too great either. It contains saccharin, a coal-tar compound. YUM!!

Splenda is also a red flag. It is made by chlorinating sugar, changing its molecular structure- making it sucralose. The makers of this crap say that it is safe for diabetics. FDA says that it is 98% pure. the other 2% contains small amounts of heavy metals, methanol and arsenic! FUN FUN! Sucralose has side effects that include: diarrhea, organ, genetic, immune system, and reproductive damage, swelling of the liver and kidneys and a decrease in body weight. This product sounds fantastic!

Let us recap: Natural sweeteners, good. Refined sugars, bad. Artificial sweeteners,really bad. Got it??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know Laura, I was just diagnosed with a "fatty liver". Now that I've read this (and been on diet drinks for YEARS), I wonder if they have anything to do with it.

Ellyn