So far we have enjoyed a few days of sleeping in and lazing around the house. I love having no agenda and if I want to take a nap or two, I can! The pool is open and yesterday Lindsey and I went to enjoy it for a bit. Thankfully we went later in the afternoon cause when we got back from lunch out after church, it was crazy busy at the pool!
Today is Memorial Day and I am thankful for all of the soldiers that have sacrificed for our freedom. I wish that others would think less of this day as being another day to play and consider what this holiday really means. Even today in our paper, the front page was about Tennesseans not wearing life vests on the water. Where was any information about our troops??? Over on page 8!! Entertainment takes priority over soldiers fighting for our freedom.
I remember working at Capital Office Products in Irmo and meeting one of our many delivery truck drivers. He had a son over in Iraq. I am sorry to say that I do not remember his sons name but I do remember him telling me of some of the conversations that he would have with his son. His son called home quite a bit which I thought was very odd, but great! I had no idea that they were able to call home as much as his son did. They would always talk about things going on in S.C and not so much about what he was doing over there cause I guess that it helped him deal with things better if he kept talking about people at home. I do not know whether his son is home or not or even made it home alive but when I think of people that are over seas fighting for my freedom, that delivery truck driver pops into my head and I say a prayer for him and all troops.
I often wonder if people(younger generation) would have more respect for our military if they had someone from their family over seas currently. If EVERYONE in America had at least 1 person over seas fighting, I bet there would be a greater appreciation for holidays like today. I just do not feel the patriotism in this country like I felt years ago. Any one have any thoughts??
